Sleep Is An Experience
Social conventions are defined by time and success. Every day, we are pressured to complete many different tasks. This daily rhythm ignores our need to sleep, and yet it is sleep that makes this rhythm possible. We need to pay closer attention to sleep. By filling the alarm clock with water, we focus our attention on the duration of sleep. The task itself becomes a ritual which positively influences our rest. As opposed to the incessant ticking sound of a regular clock, here time passes silently and purely mechanically. As the drops of water fall, the glass bowl becomes lighter and finally lets the hammer fall. As the tone bounces between the singing bowls, we are gently awakened and a new day begins.
Time is something hard to grasp, but sleep is an experience.
Vera Wiedermann‘s ‘Dreamtime alarm clock’ is a beautiful and simplistic device that offers an alternative way to be woken up. Instead of a loud and annoying beeping, the copper mobile that hangs down from the ceiling lets a hammer fall and strike it when it is time for you to get out of bed. The alarm clock is powered by water, which slowly drips from one container into the bowl beneath it as the hours pass by. Once it is empty and the bowl is full, the hammer is released to make a loud but tuneful sound.
Vera Wiedermann is a designer based in Vienna, Austria, who develops functional products from table ware to food and eating design concepts
About Mr MiyagiWalk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later
- RT @jmaruyama: Love this keychain! #Disneyland https://t.co/RJjVg1zDGV 1 day ago
- It's back! Spicy chicken and prawn noodles with tomato, cream, coconut milk, basil, bacon and bamboo. Come on over. https://t.co/rnBdaCTmut 5 days ago
- Yup, that's right, we now offer a full bar. You have spoken, and we have listened. Tequila anyone? https://t.co/YJznUye0ZC 1 week ago
- Pork belly on the menu tonight. Come and get it, Chinas. https://t.co/gBcKrDSEof 2 weeks ago
- Just made a fresh bash of chilli chocolate sake. Serving it hot to chase the cold away! #sake #chilli #chocolate https://t.co/9XRTY1TjtC 1 month ago
- Just watched # babydriver. Meh. 1 month ago
- This is what you missed out on........#hibacinyama https://t.co/tagSjBKxhP 1 month ago
- Decided to try the #hibachinyama again, and 3 no-shows again. Why do people do that? Seriously! 😡 https://t.co/SYXjcEyQkC 1 month ago
- I'm getting worried about Kato. He seems to be on an 80s trip lately. He has leggings to match....... https://t.co/nEvAax6JGV 1 month ago
- Hibachinyama is back!! Book on the 12th of August for a once off Asian BBQ Mooki style.#Hibachi https://t.co/XikTmpGnFm 1 month ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.