Sleep Is An Experience
Social conventions are defined by time and success. Every day, we are pressured to complete many different tasks. This daily rhythm ignores our need to sleep, and yet it is sleep that makes this rhythm possible. We need to pay closer attention to sleep. By filling the alarm clock with water, we focus our attention on the duration of sleep. The task itself becomes a ritual which positively influences our rest. As opposed to the incessant ticking sound of a regular clock, here time passes silently and purely mechanically. As the drops of water fall, the glass bowl becomes lighter and finally lets the hammer fall. As the tone bounces between the singing bowls, we are gently awakened and a new day begins.
Time is something hard to grasp, but sleep is an experience.
Vera Wiedermann‘s ‘Dreamtime alarm clock’ is a beautiful and simplistic device that offers an alternative way to be woken up. Instead of a loud and annoying beeping, the copper mobile that hangs down from the ceiling lets a hammer fall and strike it when it is time for you to get out of bed. The alarm clock is powered by water, which slowly drips from one container into the bowl beneath it as the hours pass by. Once it is empty and the bowl is full, the hammer is released to make a loud but tuneful sound.
Vera Wiedermann is a designer based in Vienna, Austria, who develops functional products from table ware to food and eating design concepts
About Mr MiyagiWalk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later
- Can anyone explain this #ironman beetle to me? This is an actual beetle that crawled along my table. https://t.co/EE2CqgaNfC 9 hours ago
- Who’s keen for a rainbow pegacorn wine cooler? A range of designs coming soon at Mooki. https://t.co/U5s7HKQOfE 1 day ago
- Meet Papa Panda. He’s super chill..... https://t.co/26b0saX0YW 2 weeks ago
- Coming soon to our shelves. Sets of spoons with super cute mushroom motif. Sold in sets, price to follow. https://t.co/Q6ra07WMZF 3 weeks ago
- Our new spoons are gonna be ready tomorrow. They have turned out super cute. Working on some light boxes and a few… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 weeks ago
- Shelving has started going up for our merchandise now available in-store. Mushroom printed spoons coming soon. https://t.co/uBnzrdORMK 1 month ago
- Lentil and Pablo crumbed Danish Feta herb salad with a pickled ginger dressing and wasabi mayonnaise.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Hey China’s, we have new brekkie cup and bowl sets available. They’re gonna sell fast, so come get yours now. https://t.co/fK63ur2KC8 1 month ago
- Hey Chinas, we have more brekkie cup and bowl sets available. Order now. They’re gonna sell fast! https://t.co/31wlX5hKe2 1 month ago
- Ready for the oven. Not the beer, obviously.... #sundaylunch #jackblack #porkbelly https://t.co/uc1YAGUoHg 1 month ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.