Sleep Is An Experience
Social conventions are defined by time and success. Every day, we are pressured to complete many different tasks. This daily rhythm ignores our need to sleep, and yet it is sleep that makes this rhythm possible. We need to pay closer attention to sleep. By filling the alarm clock with water, we focus our attention on the duration of sleep. The task itself becomes a ritual which positively influences our rest. As opposed to the incessant ticking sound of a regular clock, here time passes silently and purely mechanically. As the drops of water fall, the glass bowl becomes lighter and finally lets the hammer fall. As the tone bounces between the singing bowls, we are gently awakened and a new day begins.
Time is something hard to grasp, but sleep is an experience.
Vera Wiedermann‘s ‘Dreamtime alarm clock’ is a beautiful and simplistic device that offers an alternative way to be woken up. Instead of a loud and annoying beeping, the copper mobile that hangs down from the ceiling lets a hammer fall and strike it when it is time for you to get out of bed. The alarm clock is powered by water, which slowly drips from one container into the bowl beneath it as the hours pass by. Once it is empty and the bowl is full, the hammer is released to make a loud but tuneful sound.
Vera Wiedermann is a designer based in Vienna, Austria, who develops functional products from table ware to food and eating design concepts
About Mr MiyagiWalk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later
- On the special board this week: Dakgangjeong. Korean sweet, sticky and spicy chicken with toasted cashew and egg fr… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- They’re here!!! Noodle bowls at R 50 each Md brekkie sets (mug and cereal bowl) at R 100. Gonna sell out fast, so c… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- We should have some mugs and bowls for sale by the end of the week. Very limited stock, so first come/first serve. https://t.co/pOtiFXsyOO 5 days ago
- A variation on the classic kamikaze cocktail. Semi frozen....... https://t.co/iMZrMqJBgO 2 weeks ago
- https://t.co/s4Pw7UFPVT 2 weeks ago
- We’ve decided to cash in on the hype with a crazy special of our own #goodatmath #BlackFriday2017 https://t.co/OIXnVLNqYo 2 weeks ago
- Now pouring Jack Black craft draught at R 35 per 500ml and R30 per 330ml when you order a meal. Phone to book your… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- OUR TAP IS IN!!! WOOHOO!! https://t.co/2EqA4Pqs3U 1 month ago
- Finally installing the Jack Black draught. #hellyeah https://t.co/EpS9AKUfYb 1 month ago
- Our new pig pong inspired shooter paddles. Thanks @theprintroom! https://t.co/xhpawDX7zF 2 months ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.