Sleep Is An Experience
Social conventions are defined by time and success. Every day, we are pressured to complete many different tasks. This daily rhythm ignores our need to sleep, and yet it is sleep that makes this rhythm possible. We need to pay closer attention to sleep. By filling the alarm clock with water, we focus our attention on the duration of sleep. The task itself becomes a ritual which positively influences our rest. As opposed to the incessant ticking sound of a regular clock, here time passes silently and purely mechanically. As the drops of water fall, the glass bowl becomes lighter and finally lets the hammer fall. As the tone bounces between the singing bowls, we are gently awakened and a new day begins.
Time is something hard to grasp, but sleep is an experience.
Vera Wiedermann‘s ‘Dreamtime alarm clock’ is a beautiful and simplistic device that offers an alternative way to be woken up. Instead of a loud and annoying beeping, the copper mobile that hangs down from the ceiling lets a hammer fall and strike it when it is time for you to get out of bed. The alarm clock is powered by water, which slowly drips from one container into the bowl beneath it as the hours pass by. Once it is empty and the bowl is full, the hammer is released to make a loud but tuneful sound.
Vera Wiedermann is a designer based in Vienna, Austria, who develops functional products from table ware to food and eating design concepts
About Mr MiyagiWalk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later
- Need a certificate of excellence?no problem, you can buy one at PEP. This has to be at the very least unethical... https://t.co/mPboqBzwXA 13 hours ago
- Chicken & bacon with noodles. Come and get it. https://t.co/UP3Ds4sI42 5 days ago
- Spent the last 2 days stripping, acid washing, painting, wiring etc. #bushed https://t.co/fFVGFLZwg6 1 week ago
- Saw this in cash converters. Nice collection of Mooki stickers, buddy!! https://t.co/sNRPivxbTY 1 week ago
- Love taking simple shots like this. https://t.co/THvit2csF5 2 weeks ago
- Our lunch time Vietnamese Rib Board and Tempura Fish and Chips with Asian Coleslaw and Wasabi Mayo smothered Fries. https://t.co/RI6j7Yn9wv 3 weeks ago
- Seed mix + fresh salad + calamari strips + spring roll pastry basket = OMNOMNOM https://t.co/8XpEQ0Xgqj 3 weeks ago
- Cashew paste gets added to our house-made Korma Masala to make our Chicken Korma base. That's step 3 in the process. https://t.co/UuLW3uxr8I 3 weeks ago
- Soy roasted seed mix for our salads. #crunchtastic #shalty! https://t.co/un4EDxblTu 3 weeks ago
- We now have Sake AND Soju in stock, along with Tsingtao beer. More Asian brands coming soon. https://t.co/Xm3jiZsNt2 3 weeks ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.